DALIN is a diverse architecture and planning practice of more than 160 multicultural professionals with offices in California and Washington. We offer over 40 years of experience building communities where we live and work, driven by a vision of creating places that promote human flourishing and well-being. It’s the same The passion of the place® starts with our own work environment, a positive community where people thrive. Please visit our website (www.dahlingroup.com) to learn more.
We are currently looking for a ACCOUNTING MANAGER join our team in our Pleasanton, California Office! The ideal candidate is a service-oriented professional with a friendly, flexible and positive attitude, and will cultivate the relationships that senior managers and technical staff have with their customers and others by maintaining a personal, welcoming and professional approach. Our accounting team is collaborative and fast-paced, serving staff in five offices. Each member of our accounting team understands the importance of their role in maintaining a successful, growing and profitable business. This professional will report to the CFO and lead day-to-day accounting operations, with hands-on team leadership, reporting, compliance, transactional and strategic responsibilities. This position will ensure accounting processes, resources and controls are optimized to support our company’s strategic business objectives and will work closely with Human Resources to maintain company policies and regulatory compliance.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for day-to-day accounting operations including general ledger activities, month-end close, account reconciliation and supervision of accounting staff.
- Produce timely and accurate monthly deliverables (submitted to CFO for review) including financial reports, such as cash flow statement, income statement, balance sheet
- Assist with financial planning, including annual budgeting, budget and account variance analysis, and forecasting to support management decision-making on a regular and ad-hoc reporting basis
- To bring practice leadership, guidance and training of appropriate staff for effective financial operations, implementation of processes and tools to reduce unnecessary bureaucracy
- Provide technical and analytical advice to identify and resolve problems related to accounting, projects and financial issues.
- Coordinate and manage audits, acting as a liaison between the firm, government agencies and auditors by providing required information and ensuring that appropriate information is retained for historical purposes.
- Facilitate and prepare tax returns for external CPA and quarterly city/state tax returns
- Administer bi-monthly payroll using ADP Workforce Now, while adhering to strict deadlines for file transactions and payroll funding, ensuring accuracy and compliance with government regulators
- Respond to payroll-related inquiries, including but not limited to payroll deductions, wage garnishments, and employee compensation/bonus requests
- Responsible for providing payroll data for year-end W2s, 401k/ESOP benefits, state tax filings, worker compensation, state unemployment, and other responses/ agency audits
- Guide financial operations by developing, monitoring, reviewing and applying internal accounting policies, processes and procedures in accordance with GAAP, conducting audits as needed to ensure appropriate internal controls
- Manage, direct, coach and train accounting team staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP, FLSA/federal, state and local payroll laws
- Strong skills required in cloud-based financial, payroll and human resources information systems; DELTEK/Ajera and ADP highly preferred
- Excellent MS Excel experience required
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and collaboration skills, including the ability to translate and communicate complex financial concepts to non-financial project managers in a positive and productive manner
- Ability to work onsite, with ability to communicate in a hybrid office environment (onsite and virtual)
- Strong team ethic with ability to lead through influence and delegate constructively
- Ability to objectively assess and analyze the qualifications and performance of others as well as the ability to plan and direct their activities; and to judge the appropriate action in response to changes, circumstances or problems
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS:
- 5+ years of full-cycle accounting experience in a professional services environment (architectural, engineering, construction, legal, medical), including a minimum of 3 years of relevant supervisory experience and 3 years of payroll required
- Strong background as an accounting manager with solid experience in project accounting, accounts payable/receivable, general ledger, payroll and coordination of audit activities, budget development and analysis
- Demonstrated experience supporting senior management required
- Demonstrated willingness to keep up to date with relevant legislation and software updates
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; FPC/CPP, CPA preferred
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without any restrictions or visa sponsorship
We offer competitive compensation based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage. We also offer the ability to participate in pre-tax flexible spending plans for medical, child care and transportation expenses, employee stock ownership plan and 401k.
DAHLIN is committed to welcoming and supporting a diverse community of professionals. As such, women and people of color are especially encouraged to apply. DAHLIN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify.
In response to COVID-19, DAHLIN is tracking all COVID-19 mandates, including health screenings, vaccinations, and indoor masking if required.
We do not accept CVs from recruiters, placement agencies or other personnel providers who have not signed an agreement with us. Unsolicited resumes will not be eligible for referral fees.
View your application history