Reporting to the General Manager of Fitness Project, the Accounting Manager is responsible for the accounting and management aspects of the business. Financial reporting, member billing, other accounts receivable, accounts payable, and purchasing and payroll all fall under the direction of the Accounting Manager.
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
DIRECT REPORTS: Accounting staff
WORKS WITH: Responsible for facilitating the positive working relationship with the company’s accounting firm, as well as with banks and suppliers.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Accounts Receivable: responsible for overseeing member billing, including processing all new members. Ensures that each member file is complete and that no information is missing.
2) Accounts Payable: responsible for timely payment of invoices, including proper payment within 15 or 20 days net. Also performs all necessary research to ensure correct payment. Receives appropriate signing authority, tracking and documentation, as required.
3) Merchandising: responsible for establishing and managing inventory associated with items retailed in the establishment.
4) Member Billing: Facilitates the electronic transfer of funds from member accounts on the pre-determined day of each month and does so on a regular monthly and bi-weekly basis. Assist as needed in researching and tracking all returns, correcting billing errors; initiate appropriate contact by email, US Mail or telephone with members regarding returns. Manages adjustments in member billing accounts, if necessary.
5) Purchasing: Facilitates the processes associated with the purchase of all products and services within the facility. Acts as the central communication and processing source for the purchasing system. This includes tracking orders, implementing PO numbers, and processing invoices.
6) Controls, policies and procedures:
a) Establishes an appropriate business operations policy as required, including a petty cash policy, daily review of transactions and daily closes.
b) Establishes an appropriate policy regarding monthly closing procedures and bank account reconciliation. Responsible for ensuring month-end close within 60 days of month-end.
7) Payroll: processes payroll files. Analyze payroll for budget tracking purposes. Ensures payroll accuracy and immediately corrects any unintentional errors.
8) Financial reports: responsible for the preparation of the following reports:
a) Prepares daily, weekly and monthly statistics on membership management software and spreadsheet to review operating parameters with the General Manager. J
b) Provides internal ad hoc financial or statistical reports to the CEO for decision making.
c) Prepares the income statement, cash flow statement and monthly balance sheet.
9) Risk Management: With the CEO and COO, provide timely recommendations for insurance coverage, and policies and procedures to reduce liability risks (e.g., reporting, maintain and respond to all incident reports). Ensures that all facility licenses and certifications are up to date.
10) Provide oversight and management of the company’s accounting system(s).
11) Maintains facility equipment lists with appropriate amortization schedules.
12) Prepares annual operating and capital budgets.
13) Acts as primary contact for outsourced accounting firm for audits and tax planning.
14) Represent Fitness Project in a professional, courteous and enthusiastic manner.
15) Adheres to all fitness project standards, policies and procedures.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1) The ability to use computer hardware and software.
2) The organizational skills needed to prepare reports and reconcile accounts in a timely manner.
3) Take initiative and ability to solve problems independently.
4) The analytical skills needed to prepare statistical and financial reports.
5) The interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with individuals and groups of all levels and to troubleshoot and solve problems with individuals and groups of all levels. Effective communication skills to ensure a positive member/patient experience.
KNOWLEDGE, PRACTICAL EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING REQUIRED:
1) The level of knowledge normally acquired by obtaining an associate degree in accounting, preferably a bachelor’s degree in accounting.
2) Five years of experience in an accounting-related position. Experience in the fitness industry is a plus.
3) Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the Financial Accounting Standards Board required.
4) Experience using ADP payroll and time tracking systems.