Stem exists to help artists navigate the business behind their music. We do this by reducing complexity, creating clarity, and providing more opportunities to exercise total control. Artists on our platform decide for themselves how their hard-earned money flows, whether that’s through sharing with their collaborators or increasing their earnings to invest in their future with no strings attached.
Our new Royalty Accounting Services team is looking for a Royalty Accounting Services Manager with a strong professional background in royalty accounting and providing services to artists or labels. We are an agile and fast-paced team and greatly value the ability to innovate, manage and be self-sufficient in driving the royalty accounting offering.
This role is full-time and fully remote, with occasional in-person meetings in Los Angeles for which we cover out-of-town employee travel/accommodation.
Stem Disintermedia is led by a motivated and collaborative team from diverse backgrounds, including senior professionals from UTA, PeerStreet, Hired, Apple Music and FlashFunders. Our highly strategic group of investors and senior advisers includes former Venmo COO Michael Vaughan, Acorns board member and former Wealthfront CEO Adam Nash, Carta CEO , Henry Ward, QED co-founder, Adams Conrad, Quality Control Music (Cardi B, the Migos and Lil Yachty) co-founder and COO Kevin “Coach K” Lee, Three Six Zero CEO Mark Gillespie, two-time NBC All- Star Baron Davis and WndrCo. Our employees include musicians, parents, activists, artists, etc. What unites us are our shared values, our commitment to exceptional communication and our belief in Stem’s mission.
What you will do:
- Help initiate and oversee operations of the Stem royalty accounting offering.
- Guide the development of the Royalty Accounting offering product, including offering definition, feature prioritization and deployment to customers.
- Help the sales team identify target customers and send messages; be the point of contact with the customer on the offer.
- Provide customer insights, advise the product team on requirements, and guide the overall product roadmap.
- Generate label and artist statements and record royalty and mechanical royalty payments, as well as track and allocate label revenue and costs.
- Welcome new customers and support existing customers.
- Be the escalation point for ad hoc customer requests. Produce ad hoc reports, research, calculations and analyzes according to client needs
- Ensure proper recording, collection and payment of all applicable fees and sources of revenue.
- Experience in implementing new accounting software and systems.
- Develop and manage the operations team as the business scales.
- Help independent musicians stay independent, by bringing fintech to music!
Our ideal candidate has:
- 5+ years of royalty accounting experience
- Worked at a label or business management company
- Knowledge of music rights, royalties and music contracts
- Successfully led a royalty accounting or finance team
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to translate and communicate financial information and music royalty information to product and other teams
- Experience with Curve, Record Maestro or other royalty accounting software.
It’s a bonus if you have:
- Provision of external royalty accounting or business management services to labels
Technologies/Systems/Software we use:
- Royalty Account Systems (Curve / Record Maestro / Infinite Catalog)
- Google/Excel Sheets
Don’t match all the skills listed? Almost no one does! Do you think you’re a good fit anyway? Please let us know.
- Competitive compensation including equity for all full-time employees. We maintain salary bands for all careers to ensure fair wages across the company.
- 100% of premiums covered for employee medical, dental and vision care (60% for dependents)
- Company 401(k) match up to 4%
- Unlimited paid leave
- Life insurance
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- Excellent parental leave policies
**Stem is an equal opportunity employer, and more than that, actively strives to build and nurture a diverse, inclusive and equitable team. We celebrate differences and select shared values over cultural fit. We are committed to providing employees with a work environment free from discrimination and harassment.**